This course is designed as an introduction to community development theory and practice, both internationally and locally.
Definitions, principles and approaches to community development will be discussed, with an emphasis on holistic transformation from a Christian perspective.
This course will also review best practices and relevant issues in the field of community development, with a focus on real world experience, applications and impact.
Case studies and participatory learning methods will be utilized.
Topics to be covered in this course include the following:
1) The role of faith, mission and values
2) Diverse approaches to community development
3) Development in contrast to relief work
4) The key principles of community development
5) The community development process
6) Best practices in education, health, and business development programming
7) Appropriate technology
8) The demonstration effect
9) Adult education theory and practice
10) Participatory learning methods
Roland Vanderburg has been professionally involved in international community development for twenty years and works for CAUSE Canada as the Program Manager. He has extensive experience in international Community Development.
WHEN AND WHERE:
River Park Church
3818 14A Street Southwest
May 3 - June 21st
8 pm to 9:30 pm
THIS EVENT IS FREE!!!!